Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween party, part 2: Pumpkins!

Pumpkins. I already posted the haunted house one...which I ended up putting out on a pedestal in the graveyard. The second pumpkin was a ghost ship and it was a giant pain in the butt.



We had tons of problems getting the lid off and it took forever to scrape the insides because the walls were so thick. They actually needed to be thinned down even more so that you could see the light from inside better, but it's already starting to mold (in spite of lots of lysol), so I think it'd be a lost cause at this point. Oh well.



I also think that if I try this again, I'll use transfer paper to map the design. I had so many holes poked that I couldn't tell what I was carving, so it took far longer than it should've. Oh well...

Also, there are supposed to be full cut out sections of the water and parts of the ship, but I just didn't have the patience to deal with it.

Carving and shading pumpkins is definitely more time consuming, but I don't think it's really as difficult as it seems. It's all about having the right tools. Would anyone be interested in a little tutorial?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Boise, Idaho, United States
To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury; and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable; and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasion, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common. This is to be my symphony. William Henry Channing